Sunday, August 13, 2006

Brett on Radio A Bad Idea

Regina Brett Takes Over WCPN on Fridays

I have said it before and I will say it again, I do not like newspaper people on the radio. There is good reason why their first job was a newspaper gig. It is clear that there is a skill to hosting a radio show that a writer does not usually have. Now, Regina Brett has taken over the Friday 9 to 10 .m. slot on WCPN. This is a very bad idea, and I hope that it ends soon. She is being championed as a Rock Star coming to the lowly radio station. At 10 a.m. on Fridays, WCPN features that news roundup hosted by Diane Rehm or her endless supply of substitutes, which I like and try to listen to every week. That is the kind of thing WCPN should try. Regina Brett, Bill Rice, and Tom Beres could sit around with a qualified moderator to talk about the local news. That would be a good show. (Please no Dick Feagler!!!) It can be nothing like Feagler and Friends where the moderator is the main show. The guests should be the stars not the blow hard moderator.

I just don't like Brett's preachy sound on the radio. I don't like listening when it sounds like she is lecturing me. I also think that she thinks that she is smarter than the rest of us. She seems bored by the callers and guests because she knows everything in the world. The only thing that she struggles with is technology and dead air and microphones. I have actually have come to enjoy listening to Cindi Duetschman Ruiz at 9 a.m. I don't like the topics that are chosen as much as I used to, but Cindi does a good job keeping the show moving.

Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home